FRIDAY MAY 19, 2017 BY 5:00PM
SALARY: $17.67 - $21.50
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Equipment Service Center Division of Calaveras County’s Public Works Department is seeking their next team member. The Mechanic’s Helper will, under close supervision, assist Public Works’ mechanics in the servicing, repairing, overhauling and adjusting of heavy equipment powered by both gasoline and diesel engines; and to do related work as required. This is a full-time position that comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The schedule for this position is Monday – Friday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
- Assists mechanics in the overhauling of a variety of mechanical components such as engines, rear ends and transmissions.
- Services, adjusts and replaces brakes and wheel bearings.
- Assists in performing the more routine and repetitive mechanical and related duties on heavy, road construction equipment.
- Assists in performing servicing, lubrication, preventive maintenance and tire work on heavy road construction equipment.
- Picks up and delivers road equipment for repair work needed.
- Fuels a wide variety of road construction and maintenance equipment.
- Sweeps shop floors and restrooms.
- Picks up hand tools, power tools and related equipment.
- Assists in loading and unloading heavy road equipment.
- Installs safety equipment such as warnings lights, backup horns and mirrors.
Standard mechanic equipment and parts; materials, machine and hand tools and general procedures used in overhauling, repairing, lubricating and adjusting road equipment.
Identify standard mechanic equipment and parts; perform the less skilled duties involved in repairing, overhauling and adjusting equipment; use hand and machine tools properly, learn to perform the more skilled duties; work cooperatively with mechanics; follow oral and written directions.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and one year of experience involving the servicing and minor repair of mechanical equipment; successful completion of a related training program in mechanics may be substituted for the required experience.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of an appropriate California driver’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles may be required.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment, use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate person and by telephone.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in the documents and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.