WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12, 2017 BY 5:00PM.
SALARY: $21.29 - $25.88/hr.
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Calaveras County Public Works Department is seeking a Public Works Inspector to inspect roads, bridges, culverts and other public works projects for conformance to contract requirements and specifications; do related work as required.
Under general supervision, inspects road, bridge, culvert and utility installations including general grading, operations for private development and County projects for conformance to standards, to contract and/or permit requirements and specifications, and to the County’s encroachment, storm water, and grading ordinances; identifies and solves issues related to the County-maintained roadways; implements the County’s storm water program, and performs related work as required.
- Inspects a variety of improvement projects, such as utility installations, including trenches in the County’s maintained right of way, earthwork projects including roads improvements for private development, and installation of drainage culverts to ensure conformance with approved improvement drawings and specifications, standards, and permit requirements.
- Inspects all private and public improvements impacting the County’s maintained right of way to verify compliance with traffic control standards to ensure traffic safety of the traveling public.
- Observes contractor’s operations on Public Works owned projects for conformance to contract requirements, plans, specifications, and state/county permit requirements.
- Ensures that developers and contractors follow established quality assurance protocols including ensuring that materials testing is performed.
- Conducts contractor pre-job conferences and provides inspections during construction.
- Documents all inspection activities on projects through reports.
- Checks equipment for proper mechanical operation and safety procedures.
- Checks encroachment violations of County-maintained rights of way.
- Maintains & develops cooperative relationships with employees, contractors & the general public.
- Maintains various inventories of facilities and associated storm drain systems for compliance with the County’s municipal storm water permit.
- Assists engineers with field work.
- Collects samples from storm water discharges.
- Utilizes computers and associated instruments including laptops or other digital data collection equipment, digital camera or other GPS equipment.
- Utilizes application software for word processing, GIS viewing and exhibit creation and electronically files reports and construction records.
Methods, materials, standards, and equipment used in public works construction; laws, regulations, ordinances and specifications applicable to encroachments into the County right of way and protection of storm water safety measures pertinent to public works construction including traffic safety measures.
Effectively use simple engineering tools, such as soil testing equipment, levels, surveyor’s rods; read and understand public works plans, specifications and blueprints; read and understand survey documents; advise on construction methods and requirements; make arithmetical computations quickly and accurately such as volumetric computations; develop and maintain cooperative working relations with those contacted in the course of work; enforce necessary regulations with firmness and tact.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of journey level experience in the highway construction trades. Must obtain QSP and CESSWI certificates within the twelve (12) month probationary period.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license is required. Must obtain QSP and CESSWI certificates within the twelve (12) month probationary period.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Mobility to work in the field on sites with varying slopes and surfaces and in a standard office environment; use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to frequently stand and walk; sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and by telephone. Work is performed both in an office and outdoors; exposure to chemicals and variations in temperature and humidity; ability to lift and carry items weighting up to 50 pounds; work is performed in an environment with constant noise (construction equipment) constant contact with staff and the public.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in the documents and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.