Apply immediately! Position is open until filled.
SALARY: $70,200-$85,363 annually
UNIT: Mid-Management Unrepresented
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under general direction, assumes substantive and significant responsibility for Department administration including fiscal and budgetary, fiscal personnel, management information systems, program and/or operational activities; coordinates, organizes and manages office and business activities and flow of communications and information to assure smooth and efficient business operations; supervises, trains and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; and does other related work as required.
Incumbents of this classification are typically assigned to the largest departments in size and budget to manage the operations and staff of the fiscal division.
· Administration and Safety Division
· Roads & Bridges
· Equipment Service Center
· Integrated Waste Management
- Performs and manages a variety of activities involved in the overall administrative, budgetary and personnel management of the County’s Public Works fiscal unit; assists in establishing and maintaining division timelines and priorities; assures related activities comply with established standards, requirements, policies and procedures;
- Plans, coordinates and organizes office and business activities and flow of communications and information for effective and efficient business operations; assists in the development and implementation of department projects, contracts, goals, objectives, services and activities; assures proper and timely resolution of office, personnel and business issues, conflict and discrepancies;
- Supervises, trains and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; participates in the selection of assigned employees;
- Coordinates and directs the development and preparation of the annual budget for the assigned department, reviews and analyzes budgetary and financial data; controls and authorizes expenditures in accordance with established policies; organizes and directs fiscal operations and activities to meet the needs of assigned department; directs fiscal and accounting activities with financial and accounting related personnel;
- Reviews and presents to management monthly financial and statistical analyses on status of funds showing expenditures, balances, and relationship to allotments;
- Studies and evaluates accounting procedures of the Department and recommends improved processes in accordance with accounting standards;
- Monitors and assesses Department fiscal controls for accuracy;
- Evaluates services and operations for financial effectiveness and operational efficiency; provides recommendations concerning the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures to enhance the financial effectiveness;
- Researches and synthesize technical information and assistance to the assigned department head concerning fiscal programs and operations, needs and issues;
- Provides consultation to department staff concerning administrative activities of assigned department; responds to inquiries, resolves issues and conflicts and provides detailed and technical information concerning related standards, requirements, policies and procedures; communicates with departments, governmental agencies and others to exchange information, coordinate activities and resolve issues or concerns; attends and conducts meetings, prepares and delivers oral presentations concerning fiscal programs and functions;
- Reviews laws, regulations, legislation and policies for guidance in performing fiscal and accounting operations.
Principles, practices, and techniques involved in the administrative, budgetary and personnel management activities of a designated County department; principles of governmental accounting, financing and budgeting; automation applications and operations; contract preparation and administration; research, analysis and evaluation techniques; budget preparation and control; operation of a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software; and exemplary oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Skill and Ability to:
Perform a variety of activities involved in the overall administrative, budgetary and personnel management activities of a designated County department; coordinate and organize office and business activities and flow of communications and information to ensure effective and efficient outcomes; supervise, train and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; evaluate administrative management problems and present appropriate corrective alternatives, solutions and recommendations; interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures; establish and maintain, effective working relationships with others; and plan and organize own work and work of others.
Licenses, Certificates or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Education, Training and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, accounting or a closely related field, including 6 semester or 9 quarter units of accounting. Job related, professional-level experience may substitute for the required education, except for the required accounting units, on a year-for-year basis. In addition, five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional-level experience involving work with a variety of administrative operations. One year of the required experience must have been in a supervisory position
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.