APPLY IMMEDIATELY! POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
SALARY: $83,200 - $101,150 annually
UNIT: Mid-Management Unrepresented
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Positions in this classification work directly for the Deputy Director and are typically responsible for managing a section of the Public Works Department.
This classification is the first full supervisory and management level in the professional and technical engineers series. Incumbents supervise a staff of engineers, paraprofessional engineers,
engineering aides, and other support staff.
In addition to supervising the work of staff, incumbents perform the most difficult and complex engineering work, or serve as the technical expert in reviewing and analyzing engineering issues. Incumbent may act on behalf of a Deputy Director of Public Works, as assigned.
- Plan, organize, train, evaluate, and supervise the work of subordinate staff;
- Assist subordinate engineering staff with engineering problems;
- Plan, organize and direct office and field engineering staff in connection with the construction and improvement of public works projects;
- Develop section, project and staff schedules;
- Gather and compile data;
- Develop policies and procedures to meet changing requirements and implement as approved;
- Coordinate preparation of bid packages for County projects;
- Prepare and supervise preparation of construction estimates for inclusion in the budget;
- Develop master plan for capital improvement projects;
- Assist with development of proposed section budget;
- Coordinate section activities with other divisions, County departments and other agencies;
- Serve as a staff resource to boards, committees, commissions and task forces as required;
- Provide technical assistance to staff and the public;
- Input, access and analyze data using various computer applications;
- Review and analyze legislative impact on existing engineering regulations and requirements;
- Draft code and regulations in compliance with legislative revisions;
- Prepare and approve engineering drawings;
- Assist, direct and oversee the preparation of engineering designs, plans and specifications for the construction of public works improvement projects including roads, storm drains, landfills, and transfer stations, bike paths and street maintenance;
- Review improvement plans prepared by private firms for accuracy, design and completeness and conformance to laws and County design criteria;
- Supervise the review and approval of various permit applications;
- May serve as a witness in court;
- Acts as liaison with State, cities and private organizations.
Supervisory principles and practices including work planning, scheduling, review, evaluation and employee training and discipline; Principles and practices of civil engineering design and construction; Principles and practices of administration and project management and evaluation; Applicable codes, regulations, standards and safety practices; Constructions materials, methods and equipment; Computer applications related to engineering work; Engineering mathematics; principles and practices of land development, structural analysis and of basic budgetary.
Plan, organize, coordinate and supervise the work of assigned staff; Select, motivate, evaluate and provide for staff training and professional development; Review and analyze designs, specifications and plans; Apply engineering principles and techniques to the solution of highly complex civil engineering problems; Organize work, set priorities and exercise independent judgment within policy guidelines; deal tactfully and effectively with the public, staff, other agencies, engineering firms, contractors, developers, manufacturers and others; Prepares clear, concise and accurate reports, records and correspondence.
Training and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering or closely related field and three (3) years of lead or project management experience in public works design and construction engineering at a level equivalent to the County’s classification of Associate Civil Engineer.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
- Valid Registration as a Civil Engineer issued by the California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors (PE).
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County Application
- Cover Letter
- Supplemental Questions
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete applications and paperwork will be screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
The purpose of this supplemental questionnaire is to assess your qualifications, training, and experience in specific job related areas. Your answer to this question, along with your completed application, will be used to select the most suitably qualified candidates for the interview process. Applications submitted without completed Supplemental Question will not be given further consideration.
Respond to the question fully, but limit your response to only one to two “8-1/2 x 11” sheets of paper (single or double spaced.) Responses must be legible. Typewritten responses are preferred.
- Provide an overview of your senior level administrative or managerial experience in a public agency. Please include the programs and operations for which you were responsible, your supervisory responsibilities, and the extent of your authority.
- The Senior Engineer will foster and develop teamwork internally within the Public Works Engineering Division, cooperation among the divisions within the Department and partnerships among County agencies and departments. Describe your experience(s) and the challenges you have overcome developing team-work, cooperation and partnerships among similar governmental structures described above.
- Please describe your system for managing multiple projects assigned to a variety of professional staff with critical competing deadlines.
- Given the diversity of the Public Works Department’s areas of responsibility and variety of divisions, please describe how your engineering areas of expertise will enhance the Public Works Department mission.